Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:57:57 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] looking for vanagon plastic model?
Comments: To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com

>I've found reference to a Revell plastic model kit of the >Vanagon from the Magnum P.I. tv show. >Its the only Vanagon model I've found reference to other than >a Westy. >I think the Revell kit number is 7328 but I believe it is >discontinued. >Anyone no of good places to look for discontinued models of >our toys?

here's some folks that say they have the camper kits ... http://members.aol.com/peoplekarsweb/modelkits.html (and also some 1963 vw bus kits ... expensive, but rather good. if you like split window panel trucks. ;)

if you want smaller scaler (HO = 1/87), these folks have some ... as do any of the folks who sell HO train accessories by Roco ... http://www.sportcraftcars.com/volkswagen.html

i couldn't find any shops selling the non-camper ... but for information's sake, there were at least THREE different non-campers available.

Revell (Germany) 1/25 "VW Bus ELW" (emergency/fire control vehicle). kit number is 7330. molded in red (what else?). has sort of a Carat interior (rear-facing bench middle seat, with table between) and blue lights for the roof. decals in german. dated 1988. has decal for lower water-cooled grill.

Revell (Germany) 1/25 "VW Bus UN" (united nations vehicle). kit number is 7380. molded in white. has normal GL interior. decals are all that make it different from a normal bus. dated 1994. has decal for lower water-cooled grill.

Revell (Mexico) Lodela, 1/25 "Vanagon Microbus", kit number is RH-7382. molded in kinda lime-green plastic. yup. looks like lime sherbert ice cream. :) standard GL interior. instructions in spanish and pictures. can't find a date on the box, instructions, or decal.

then there's the Magnum P.I. one ... Revell (US?) 1/25 "Magnum p.i. vanagon". kit number is 7328. molded in brown plastic. dated 1982. box cover shows it painted up like TJ's Island Hoppers van (kit does have decal for Island Hoppers, but guess who gets to paint it all those striped colors? ;) they do have some large decal stripes, but they only cover the edge between the colors). no lower grill decal.

there are TWO versions of the camper ... Revell 1/25 "VW Vanagon Camper", kit number 7329. this is molded in orange plastic (yuk). dated 1982. has more-or-less complete camper interior. sliding door can be made to slide. poptop can be made up or down.

Revell/Monogram 1/24 "Volkswagen Van Camper", kit number 85-7633. this is molded in white plastic (easier to paint most any color). dated 1997?? identical to the other camper kit, but with different decals. includes a decal for the lower grill if you want to make it a water-cooled bus. :)

all these kits are identical, except for some interior differences, decals, and the color of the plastic they are molded in. all the wheels, suspension, floor pan, body, roof, etc. are identical. and no matter what they say the scale is, they are the same size.

that's all the big (1/24-1/25 scale) vanagons that i know of. some of them might possibly still be available in germany or mexico ... wonder if any got sold down in south africa??

unca joel