Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:18:46 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Transmission ratios with TDI motors
Comments: To: TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com, syncro@yahoogroups.com

Volks I am getting ready for my Tri-Star to come over from Sweden. It is a great truck with a bad transmission 3/4 Synchromesh problem.

First, some back ground on the Tri-Star. Other than being a fully equipped double cab with four doors, it comes with the smaller variation of the plastic wheel arches. Seeing how this truck is a collectors item, I want to be able to return it to original spec easily so this means no cutting of the wheel arches to install some huge tires. 225/75LT16 is about as big as I can go (29.2"). 225/75LT16 is available in a wide range of tires from the ever popular BF-Goodrich All-Terrain to the Pirelli Scorpion AT to the Yokahama Geolander AT

The motor I will be installing will be an ALH TDI from a 2001 Golf with the Fast Forward mounting kit that is now finally available!

Maximum torque is 155lb-ft at 1900 RPM Maximum power is 90hp at 4000 RPM

This motor has 32% more torque than a North American wasserboxer motor and it is at 1300 rpm lower in speed too - right where we need it most. At 3200 RPM where the wasserboxer peaks at 117lb-ft the TDI has around 140ft-lbs this is 11% more torque than 'stock' at this RPM. The TDI doesn't fall to 117lb-ft until about the red line of 4500 RPM. More pull everywhere! I feel it is best to concentrate on torque numbers as this is what we really drive our refrigerators on wheels with - not horse power!

The choice of 29.2" tires will 'hurt' my over all performance. The larger tires are necessary because they achieve a few things. First, I think they look much better on a Syncro that the stock 25.6" tall tires and offer a lot more in tire choices. Second, they lower the RPMs at 100km/h to something the TDI will actually last at and it will increase my overall top speed too - not that I enjoy going much over 120km/h in any T3. Going to 29.2" tall tires will result in a 14% increase in tire size or a 14% drop in perceived engine performance. The only way to compensate for this is one of two things, different ring an pinion gears of 5.43:1 final drive to get 12% more torque to the wheels or get a bigger motor. The problem with 5.43:1 is the RPM for any given speed will be higher - (not good for a TDI) so this leaves no choice but the bigger motor - hence choosing the TDI in the first place. Thankfully the TDI is a lot more than 14% more powerful in all the RPM ranges I want to use it in!

My usually driving is 100km/h (65mph) through central British Columbia over some 8% to 10% grades. Some driving in the flat lands of Alberta and Saskatchewan at 110km/h and hopefully I can take this puppy to the USA to some of the WA and OR WV shows this summer. I will be doing some occasional dirt road and off roading with this truck, but not nearly to the extent I will be with my camper. Bigger tires and different gearing again... Loads will be mainly light, I doubt if I will ever take this to the 2810kg maximum weight.

When going up through the gears I feel it is important to 'land' in the maximum torque range of the next gear and not over rev it to achieve the next gear on the ladder sort of speak. This means when going from 1st to 2nd, I want the shift point in 1st to correspond to 1900 RPM in 2nd gear. I think taking the TDI over 3800 isn't going to be that good for it over the long run so I want to keep the RPMs at most times, under that level.

The transmission is an AAN transmission (4.86 R+P) with stock gearing of:

1st 3.78 2nd 2.06 3rd 1.25 4th 0.85

Suggestions for 'better' 3rd and 4th gears are 1.17 and .77 as they are more 'beefy' that stock and will lower the RPMs. So... with 29.2" tires it would fall as follows - speeds are km/h:

Gear Ratio 1900 3800 Shift Point 1st 3.78 14 29 3400 2nd 2.06 26 53 3100 3300* 3rd 1.25 43 87 2800 3rd* 1.17 46 93 2900* 4th 0.85 64 128 4th* 0.77 71 142

Common driving speeds (rounding up RPMs):

PLACE SPEED 3rd 3rd* 4th 4th* Town 50km/h 2200 2100 1500^ 1400^ Back Country Roads 60km/h 2600 2500 1800^ 1600^ Secondary Roads 80km/h 3500 3300 2400 2200 Highway 100km/h 4300^ 4100^ 3000 2700 Interstate and AB/SK 120km/h 5200^ 4900^ 3600 3200

* recommended new gear set ^ out of RPM range

I think there are compromises in both the old and new gears sets with the TDI motor. I like the shifting points with the new gears - I think you can say 3300 rpm to 3400 RPM is a good shift point for all gears to keep everything simple. The jump from 3rd to 4th doesn't seem all that bad. Back road and secondary roads may be a little tricky with the new gear set as 70km/h is boardering on the point you should be dropping down to 3rd gear - seems the original gear set might be better for that. Town and back country driving will be fine with either set.

So... is the $500 US price worth it for the installed new gear sets? Is this amount of highway RPM drop going to result in cooler oil and water temps or not enough for me to notice?

Is there anything else that I can do to prolong the life of my transmission?

Comments - suggestions - thoughts...

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.