Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:21:17 -0800
From:         Steve Delanty <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Plumbing a second LP tank.. help!

Andrew, thanks for your input. I'll take it under consideration.

But I think your hysteria level seems a little high on this...

It seems to be commonly done in RV's and I don't see the news reports filled with photos of flaming motor homes.

To start with, a POL fitting at the tanks keeps the propane flow to a reasonable level in the event of a line rupture. The POL is nothing more than a restriction with a tiny orifice in it that limits the high pressure flow to a reasonable maximum amount. ANY propane leak is dangerous, but with a correctly chosen POL a high side rupture is little more dangerous than a low side rupture.

And you leave my flaring skills out of it... I'll bet I'm better than you think. I've flared and double flared an awful lot of tubing. Besides, I'd only use flares on low pressure LP stuff. High pressure side gets only threaded or hard soldered fittings, thank you very much.

I seriously believe that a well done high pressure LP line from one side of the van is a hell of a lot safer than pumping gasoline at 30+ PSI through a bunch of plastic and rubber fuel hose. I've seen plenty of torched VW's from THAT.

Besides, It works much better for me to connect the high pressure side because I need to run a second high pressure (2PSI) regulator to run an external appliance. If I connect the low pressure sides, then I need FOUR regulators and 2 runs of line across the van. That gives much much more opportunity for leaks.

Thanks for your input, but I think it's just fine from a safety point of view and much better for my application to connect at the high pressure side.

I never drive with the propane on anyway. No one cooks when I'm driving, and my fridge works just fine on 12 volts. Switch to LP at the campsite...

Steve

---------