Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:48:32 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Trip Report Ulan Bataar, Mongolia

"Sign-by no" (Mongolian for Howdy!) Some of you may have noticed that lately I have not been posting to the Vanagon List as regularly as I used to (every day). Basically for the last couple of months I have been getting ready for a trip to Mongolia and then last month I took that trip and then this month I have been trying to get back into the swing of things. Now that everything has settled down I thought the list might want a short account of the trip.

Purpose of the trip: Mongolia had been a Communist country since the thirties or forties (the first after Russia). At that time the Russians came in and killed almost all of the Buddhist monks and burnt down all but a handful of monasteries. Then they publicly proclaimed that there was no God and so the people have been without freedom of religion for over 50 years. In the early 90s when the USSR collapsed, Mongolia was cut loose. Suddenly the people there had freedom to learn about God and many religious groups have come into the country. The Christian church has grown very quickly in Mongolia but because of the poverty of the people there are no training centers for pastors, teachers, etc. We went to Mongolia to train church leaders to do their jobs more effectively. If you want to know more about this aspect of the trip please p-mail me and I will go into detail. I know some folks here are offended by even the mention of God, but I thought I had to at least let you know why a sane person would travel to the other side of the planet.

JFK Airport to Moscow SVO Airport Oct 8th: If you are going to visit the Moscow airport on your way to anywhere else, please, please, please get a Russian visa. This was our first international trip. Our friends who are world travelers (but always fly from France) told us a Russia visa would be not needed as we were just transitioning to our next flight through the Moscow SVO airport. The first thing that they asked us at the Delta check in was if we had a Russian Visa. Because we didn't they said we couldn't take our flight! They said that they could not check our bags through to Mongolia, so we had to pick them up in the Moscow Air Port. This would require us to leave the "transit" area and we could not do this without a Visa. I calmed asked what we should do (my wife was freaking out). They said we could go if we only took our carry ons. What followed was a mad rush to stuff anything that would fit into our carry ons and then call our friends who had dropped us off and left, to come back and get our bags. As you can imagine this was highly stressful, but we lived through it.

Next we arrive at Moscow's beautiful SVO airport. It was anything but beautiful. It looked like a throw back to the fifties in design, etc. Because we didn't have Visas again we were forced to sit in the Airport for the next 10 hours. It was midnight our time when we arrived and I wanted to try to get some sleep, but there was no comfortable place in the airport for sleeping that I could find. When we did find a spot that was seemingly deserted a flight came in from Pakistan and we were immediately surrounded by scowling Pakistanis who came looking at us and saying things I didn't understand with the word "American" tossed in here and there. Very disconcerting at the least.

Moscow to Ulan Bataar Mongolia. We were so happy that after five hours of tension our friends arrived from France. We sat together and had some dinner together and the crappy SVO airport at least seemed less menacing and bearable. We boarded Mongolian air and again things were looking up. The plane was newer than the Delta plane we had arrived on and it was only half full. No more bumps in the road, just a direct flight to UB.

Ulan Bataar: The spelling of this city varies from person to person depending on who is writing it. I guess that is why most folks call it UB (even those that live there). It is a medium sized city of a little over a million people. The Russian version of heaven is in full form here in UB. Twelve story tall apartment buildings, each apartment with an identical floor plan. You visit one UB flat you have almost visited all of them. The city looked like it had been under a bombing raid and was just now recovering. Buildings were either damaged and dilapidated looking or brand new. The skyline is full of heavy cranes everywhere you look, trying to put the city back together again. No bombs fell, only the steady decline of communism which did about as much damage or more.

Traffic and Roads: The roads are fun to drive on. I never drove myself, but it looked like fun. All of the drivers play a game called pot-hole dodge. This game is to totally ignore pedestrians, or other cars. As long as you dodge the very large and plentiful pot-holes you win the game (hopefully others around you are playing "let's not crash" so you don't have an accident).

One of our missionary friends over there said that he was standing next to his car one day, well away from traffic and with his back to it for some reason. There just happened to be a pothole nearby that he didn't notice. A driver came along playing pot-hole dodge and successfully dodged the pothole, but at the same time swerved and lightly smooshed our friend between his car and the drivers car. To show you the attitude that driver's have toward pedestrians the offending driver then pulled over, got out our his car and started to curse out my friend in Mongolian for being in the way. He was surprised that my friend (an American) could speak Mongolian. When he starting yelling back, the man quickly switched to perfect english. "Sir, I am a Surgeon, if you are injured would you allow me to examine you and attend to your injuries?"

Vanagons and Eurovans: I have to add this content but there were many Vanagons in UB. I was surprised to see any, but in all I saw at least 20 Vanagons (some syncros, even a double cab) and about the same amount of Eurovans. Apparently many Germans come to UB for one reason or another and I guess some of these have imported their vans. It was good to see a Vanagon amid the sea of Korean, or Japanese made minivans and cars. It helped me not to get so homesick:-) In contrast I only saw two mid eighties Golfs and no Jettas or other VW cars at all (including Beetles). I guess the Vanagon is something that some folks just can't leave home without!

Pollution: The city had very polluted air. In the morning you could see a haze rise over the streets. Most of the cars and buses are diesel and blowing much more black smoke than they should have been if properly tuned. Sometimes an old Russian dump truck would go by and you would be fully enveloped in a James Bond style smoke screen. The city also has one coal burning plant for electricity and one trash to steam plant. I sure these don't help. In spite of this my wife and I experienced less allergies than we do here in New Jersey. Perhaps it is the sparse vegetation or the very dry climate.

The People: This was the part I loved the most of this trip. We didn't come to Mongolia on a sight seeing trip or a vacation. We came to help people who had asked us to come. The typical Mongolian is friendly, and helpful. If you look at them walking down the street nine times out of ten they will look back at you and smile if you are smiling. After so many years of being trod under the foot of the Russians, seeing a white person walking the streets of UB is a non-event. You don't feel stared at as most people ignore you and go about their business.

When we visited the country side the folks there were even more friendly and hospitable. Many of them still live in large tents called "gears" and ride horses, and tend livestock as Mongolians have been doing for the past couple of thousand years. If you visit a "gear" they will want to talk to you about yourself, your family, who you are, what you are doing in Mongolia, etc. They will feed you, house you, and entertain you without even any thought of monetary reward. In fact this would be an insult to them if you offered to pay them for anything.

The countryside: We took a trip one day after our work was over into what the Mongolians call "The Countryside". I put it in capital letters because it seems that all Mongolians think of it that way. Even if they live in the city their heart is still in "The Countryside" and many of them go back from time to time, especially in the Summer months. We took a tour trip via a Chinese jeep. It was bouncy on the smoother roads of the city (pot-holes and all). When we hit the highway the road got much worse. The road way was buckled by frost heaves and riddled with pot holes. Our driver (Jaraar) was either the best driver in the universe, or an escapee from an insane asylum. He drove us at 60 miles an hour down this terrible road, swerving and careening to miss either pot holes or on coming traffic. The road was only a two lane, however many times Jaraar would make his own third lane down the center of the road so that he could pass slower drivers going our way, and at the same time avoid large dump trucks coming the other way. After the first 30 mins of being scared to death, you got used to insanity and joined Jaraar in laughing your head off because you just missed being killed by inches. It was fun!

We got to the "gear" camp where we were to visit and the landscape changed. The city sprawl was replaced by a landscape that reminds me of Western pictures and paintings circa 1850s. Vast empty spaces. Small hills of rock jutting out of the ground all around you. Large valleys that you could look down into and see for miles and miles, without another human or dwelling in sight. It was an escapist's dream come true.

We entered the "gear" of a small family. Again the "gear" is a round tent about 20 feet in diameter, made of off-white felt held up by an inner framework of wood. There is a hole in the center of the ceiling in order to let out smoke and let in light. The design has remained the same for thousands of years. This gear had a small franklin stove in the center for coal heat. It also had electricity run to it (I know, I couldn't figure out the economics of running electrical wire fifty miles to the middle of nowhere for four "gears" either). There was also a small fridge in one side and a 25" inch TV set with DVD/karaoke machine on top!

We had paid for two hours of horseback riding. The man that owned the "gear" (Oncle) told us that his horses were away right now staying with a friend. However a neighbor had some horses we could use and he would take us on a small expedition into the hills. I thought I had enough clothing on for the trip, but it was bitterly cold outside and the folks insisted that I add a Mongolian "del" to my wardrobe. This is a full length trench coat made of thick wool. You tie it around the middle with a silk scarf of varying colors (mine was bright orange). The women took my wife and put on some thick wool pants and jacket. These items they loaned to us for our excursion and I am so glad they did. With the wind and the cold temperatures (probably 25 degrees) we were warm and comfortable. The Mongolian saddle is made of wood with a thin padding over it. Can you say "saddle sore"? We had a great trek in to the local wilderness. When we returned our driver was signing along to Mongolian traditional music thanks to the Karaoke machine. I was surprised what a nice voice he had!

I could write much more, but I guess this gives you an overview and a taste for what Mongolia is like. Do I want to go back, yes, very much. We are thinking about doing a similar trip next year. Until then "Bye-Our Tie" (see ya in Mongolian).

Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242