Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:03:17 -0600
From:         Andy Yarnell <Andrew.Yarnell@KIMLEY-HORN.COM>
Subject:      No starting my 1989 A/T Carat.

I have searched the archives, read and researched everything available on the internet relating to this problem. I have a long list of possible problems, but I am hoping the knowledge and experience of the list can help narrow the down the possibilities.

Yesterday it became increasingly hard to start. Then last evening, it will not turn over. It turns and turns, but will not turn over and idle. Checked for spark, got that. Checked all the wiring, cleaned a lot of connections and grounds, no start. Fuel pump does hum with key in on position, for just second, like it always does. My fuel hoses look like crap, all cracked on the outside, I will be changing those out soon. Someone checked the fuel filter in May of 2002, and wrote "good, 5/25/02: on the filter housing with a sharpie, I will replace that as well.

My ISV does not sound like it is coming on with the key in the on position. On my old 1992 GTI it you could hear it and feel it whirring. What about my Temp sensors? Could they be effecting the starting?

I can smell gas after cranking the engine for longer than I would like too, but I don't know if the gas is enough to get it started.

Help! I can not afford a mechanic, and quite frankly have not used one in 5 years, as I do love to work on my own cars, 1995 Explorer, 1973 Bug, 1992 GTI, 1987 Vanagon, and now this great 1989 Carat (Bluestar). The Bentley manual is hard to use in my experience, especially when the diagnostic equipment outlined in the manual is all VW special tools.

I have a multimeter, what else should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Andy Lakewood, CO