Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:23:56 EST
From:         Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM>
Subject:      From KLAAANGG to thump

Hey folks, Let me start by saying God Bless Matthew Bulley. I just finished doing some soundproofing, inspired by his infamous "Heat, Rust, and Noise" web page. It works great. The resounding klang when closing any door is now replaced by a brief and quiet thump.

I wrote to the list a little while back about my body panel skins being loose from the inner support frames. This was causing a lot of noise - the panels would vibrate freely, and would bounce off of the inner structure. Closing the doors made almost a 'gong' sound, BWOOOONNG. So I decided to quiet it all down, Bulleyesque-style.

I used Great Stuff expanding foam to lock all the pieces together. It is a very sticky, and impossible to get off of stuff when it is cured. Sounds like polyurethane glue to me. I sprayed a ton of it into the insides of the frames, and entombed the outside of the frames and skins. In fact, I put a layer of it all across the skin. It took a few cans, but it was on sale for $1.99 a can, not too bad. When this layer cured, it was solid as a rock. When you tap on the outside of the van, it has no metallic ring to it at all. Just a thump. Nice -- no more vibrating. On a few areas that weren't covered in foam, I used some sound-dampening sheets to kill the sound there, too.

In addition to the foam and dampening sheets, I put a layer of fiberglass insulation over it, taped it all in place, and put the panels back on. It is awesome. I should note that my '85 GL 7-pass had NO insulation or soundproofing in it. The areas behind the interior panels were completely empty, unlike the Westy's, so I was starting from scratch.

The sound of the sliding door closing is the best part. It sounds like a new car does, not like a big tin box. The comparative difference was the real indicator of how well I did. After doing one section, I went outside the van and tapped the insulated and non-insulated panels. The sound difference was pretty amazing, from pinging like a bell to a short thump. Cool. I've got a couple more areas to finish, then I hope to road-test it soon.

A note to anyone doing this kind of stuff -- hit the low areas and seams on the panel with some wax-oyl, krown, or other rustproofing stuff before you start filling up the areas with insulation.

Bill Marshall 85 GL Tiico "Pandora's Box" Aurora, IL