Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:52:13 -0800
From:         Ben <phlogiston@ISPWEST.COM>
Subject:      grinding spedometer on '86 westy

a long time ago, after a visit to the mechanic's, my westy developed an annoying grinding noise in the instrument panel. after a bit of looking around, i noticed that the end of the spedo cable, the part that actually latches to the spedo, had broken off the cable. so i used a fine duct tape/epoxy blend to re attach it and my problems went away for the summer. but just the other day, the grinding noise came back so bad that i had to take apart my dash and disconnect the spedo while driving. today my new cable came, and i installed it thinking my problems would be gone, but alas things are just as they were last week. above about 10 m/h, a grinding noise that increases with road speed occurs. it goes away entirely if i apply downward pressure on the nipple on the back of the spedometer which the cable clips to.

is this a bad spedo? is there any way to fix it? i noticed that the grommet on my new cable was a bit large for the hole that the old cable was in (the smallsh one just to the right of the big one with most of the wires if you are looking from the intereor of the car) and that there is another, slightly larger and completely empty hole above the one i used, where the metal is parralell to the road. if there is enough slack, could re routing the cable through that hole change the way it applies pressure to the gauge? which is the stock location of the cable? how expensive is it to replace the spedo?

thanks.

Ben.