Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:16:49 -0700
From:         miles2go <9gturns@XMISSION.COM>
Subject:      Door locks lead to dead batt...and my intro

Hellooo,

First off, I've looked through the archives and didn't see this addressed specifically.

We are looking for an inexpensive vehicle with character that is for sale near us. For the particulars see the intro to follow.

We found and are considering the purchase of an 87 Wolfy. I have not seen it in person as of yet and wanted to be educated on this issue before doing so.

The owner seems to be very honest and we talked for an hour about many things. I was told there are no coolant leaks and that most of the engine issues have been taken care of by the owners father within the last year. Of what was told to me only one thing is of great interest. They haven't been locking the vehicle for over a year because if they do, something remains energized and leads to a dead battery. It seems from the archives that something could be disconnected to enable manual use of the locks. Bottom line: This isn't something that's going to cost me hundreds of dollars to fix before I can use the locks is it?

I don't believe there is a Vanagon-wise shop near me so I'm on my own for the pre- purchase inspection.

Cheers,

Ron and Nancy Wheeler Eden, Utah...........

Our Intro:

My wife and I live in Utah. Nancy is a school teacher and I'm active duty USAF. I retire in two years. She is originally from MN and I'm from TN. I spent a lot of my early years in central to southern FL.

We are currently beginning a major lifestyle change in pursuit of something that is far away from the comfort zone. In 2007 we will climb onto our loaded touring bicycles and ride throughout much of the world. We will be self sufficient and could be "out there" for two or more years. This is what we call fun!

We have little intention of returning to UT and will not be storing expensive vehicles. Our house goes on the market next month. The German sports cars of our dreams are for sale. Some of our stuff will be sent to relatives for storage but much of it will be sold or donated.

We live fairly far away from our work. Over the next two years we'll need a couple of inexpensive vehicles. We have the Volvo 240 already and can't find another. A vanagon would seem to fit into our lifestyle well. We just need to ensure that it is something that will be relatively trouble free for two years. There are only a couple to choose from within 100 miles and the Wolfy seems most promising. We'll see how it turns out.

Here are some of the lists and forums you might find me on...

Swedish Bricks - A Volvo car specific list Touring@phred - A bicycle touring list I-BoB@bikelist - A bicycle list IBMWR - A BMW motorcycle riders list (not currently on it) Roadfly.org forums - BMW forums as well as others The Brickboard - Volvo forums

Cheers,

Ron