Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:35:56 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: RE: "Green" solar battery charger
Comments: To: "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>

At 12:17 AM 11/14/2003, Daniel L. Katz wrote: >the gap drops from infinity to probably a few hundred ohms at the peak of >the spark current, while the voltage across the gap drops, respectively, >from 10,000 V to a roughly a few to several tens of volts (with most of >the voltage drop across the coil secondary, and coil and plug wires).

I'm guessing that it remains a good bit higher since we're dealing with a spark (vs an arc which can carry heavy current at low voltages by transferring metal ions across the gap).

>complicated. the resistance of the spark gap itself depends on the current >flowing, temperature, pressure, and other factors. ohms law doesn't apply >to gaseous conduction.

I don't see how this bothers Ohm's Law -- it talks about results, not causes. And since it only considers R and not L or C, it applies to steady-state conditions where they have no effect, or circuits where L and C are too small to have a significant effect under the given conditions -- or to an infinitesimal instant where you can measure instantaneous voltage and current. It works perfectly well to characterize an average effective resistance or impedance in any steady-state AC system, taking L and C into account as modifying factors applied to R, resulting in Z.

>what about the resistance of a copper wire carrying a spark current? even >ignoring reactive effects, since the current is pulsed, the the effective >cross sectional area of the wire is reduced by the skin effect in a >complicated time varying manner.

Er...that *is* a reactive effect, no? But at any instant the cross-section will be effectively some specific value, and the relationship (as you say, ignoring L and C) will hold.

>then we have our coolant level electrodes. note that that system uses AC >as a dodge around the failure of ohms law for DC.

Actually it doesn't -- it applies a high-impedance square-wave (i.e. pulsed DC, CMOS levels if I remember right) trigger signal to the alarm output stages, and at the same time to one of the sender electrodes which is pulled to a static level (ground as it happens, but the circuit doesn't care) by conductance through the coolant to the other electrode. As long as the signal voltage stays at a steady state the coolant alarm signal is inhibited; if the square wave appears it means the connection between the electrodes has been broken, and the alarm triggers.

It's a clever arrangement and I haven't thought through exactly why they did it this way; but I don't see what failure of Ohm's Law has to do with it. Or what the failure is...

>diodes are useful because they don't obey ohms law.

Diodes and other active components have qualities beyond resistance (and capacitance and inductance). Ohm's Law doesn't address such things -- but they do result in an "effective resistance" under a given set of conditions that can be characterized by Ohm's Law. Also, no device "obeys" Ohm's Law -- it's the relationship between I and E and R that obey...I really think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

cheers, david

-- David Beierl -- dbeierl@attglobal.net