Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:32:43 -0500
From:         "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: RE: "Green" solar battery charger (NO VANAGON CONTENT)
Comments: To: Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>

as of now, i am already officially done adding to the current (oh, please excuse pun) thread on ohm's law, and the following closes my input into the side thread physical laws.

my original comments on physical laws stand.

and, incidently, f = dp/dt is correct in special relativity, and <f> = d<p>/dt is correct in non-relativistic quantum mechanics! relativistic time delays and quantum mechanical operators notwithstanding, the simple form of the equation of motion is preserved. perhaps more imporantly, the concepts of inertia and momentum conservation remain valid, with no known exceptions, ever; and if there ever was an apparent exception we would just invent a new field or particle to preserve THOSE cherished laws.

newton's 3 laws plus his universal law of gravitation - the latter said to be perhaps the greatest generalization of the human mind - are examples of physical laws. that doesn't mean his original work has not been superceded by more modern theories. ohm's law is a wonderful tool, extremely accurate for ordinary resistances, and easy to derive using certain simplifying assumptions and elementary methods; but it is not a physical law. we know f = dp/dt across the galaxy, but i have at best a rough idea of even the form of the V - I curve for an unkown diode in an alien space probe.

dlk