Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:38:24 -0500
From:         John Meeks <jmeeks@GASLIGHTMEDIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Redline MT-90 Winter Weather Advisory
Comments: To: tom ring <taring@TARING.ORG>

Tom and All,

>how much of it can you actually get out >of the tranny percentagewise in one pass?

The Bentley shows my tranny capacity as 3.2 qts. Unfortunately I did not measure the amount that drained from the gearbox. If someone else uses this jacking sequence and does measure the drainage, please post it as a comment to the article.

My gut feeling is that I drained almost all the oil. After it stopped draining at level, jacking up the front yielded a lot more old oil.

My fill method didn't allow any precise method for measuring input either. I just filled it till it poured out the fill hole. Whatever is in the hose and funnel gets wasted. I used 4.3 quarts at US$7.65/qt.

If anyone has a better method or more quantitative data I'll be happy to post it on the website.

John Meeks Top of Lower Michigan 91 Westfalia MultiVan

Vanagon Rescue Squad http://vw.upnorth.net?catid=74