Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:53:23 -0500
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Re: DIESEL starting and other general questions
Comments: To: Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>

On Monday 17 November 2003 08:03 pm, Gnarlodious wrote: > > My question is, what's the starting procedure using the "knob," or more > > properly, does use of the "knob" contribute to the cutting down of > > smoke upon startup? > > Yes, it gives you more fuel which assists in more complete combustion. But > only while cold.

My understanding is it doesn't provide more fuel, but instead advances the timing by five degrees at low RPMs. The idea is that when the engine is cold, the fuel needs more time to combust completely. I find mine smokes less when cold with it out, but knocks less when warm with it in.

Incidentally, I think this is pretty much an on/off thing; I don't think "easing" it in helps any like it would with a gas engine choke. I just shove it back in when the engine coolant temperature gauge gets up to the white line. (VW doesn't say specifically when, but referencing it to the temp gauge keeps me from forgetting to push it back in. ;) Also, if I shove it in too much before that the idle is kind of uneven...my engine has low compression on at least one cylinder, I think.)

VW calls it a "cold start device", since it's not really a choke as such. They also warn in a revised starting procedure that pulling it out at temperatures below 15F may keep the engine from firing; in that case they suggest leaving it in until the engine fires, then pulling it out.

> > But there's still a small > > nagging leak at the flywheel-end seal > > Me too. That leak is a real bitch. Plan on control not elimination.

I've got it too, but in my case it's contaminated my clutch (bad shuddering on take-off, unless the van's good and warmed up) so I'm going to have to have it fixed. My leak is really bad, though...I'm going through a quart of oil in 200-300 miles. Some of that may be getting burned, but the engine has no tendancy to run away so I think the majority is leaking.

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '82 Diesel Westfalia '94 Honda Civic Si -- For Sale '86 Volvo 240DL wagon