Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:15:35 -0800
From:         "Stewart, Donna" <DStewart@REEDSMITH.COM>
Subject:      Re: one van for two people?
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>

I'm a woman and a mom and wife so I'll weigh in on this, but I am biased in favor of the Vanagon. I'm actually in a similar situation as expenses for my son's college prep are getting out of hand and insurance costs in California are ridiculous so I've started thinking about getting rid of a van or of my small commute vehicle. I decided if I really had to sell one it would be the small car. The van is just a lot more useful (and paid for). If you live around lots of public transit and in walking distance, just park the van and only use it when really necessary. I used to commute to San Francisco all week and my van stayed parked because I used public transit and really didn't go too many places after work during the week. Keeps the mileage lower, which is a good thing. I was a student when I bought mine and used it for studying in the parking lot (and I'll be a student again next year, probably using the van for the same purpose at some point). I don't even think about the safety issue. You can get killed in a car with airbags same as you can with an old vehicle. Drive careful and look out for the other guy. The reason we all have those dented wheel wells is because we cut a corner too short (our fault, not the van's). In my case I was in Berkeley parking in front of my friend's house and cut in too close to the curb right by an abandoned vehicle - I clipped the bumper of the abandoned car.

Donna, 1987 Wolfsburg