Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:02:21 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: ETKA & ELSA ?  burning and shipping for free??? (F)
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

At 02:09 PM 11/21/2003, mark drillock wrote: >So, is it ok to steal as long as you share the goods with your friends >for free? That seems to be what some here are saying. I don't know if >they feel a hate for profits or if they are not thinking very deeply.

It's kinda tough for me to identify just who is losing something in this setup when no money changes hands; I think if that were clear people (me, for example) would find it easier to come down against it. From here it appears that VW gains part sales and loyal customers with no associated costs I can see other than being thwarted in their wishes; no influence on the software developers; the dealers lose a little power of coercion but also a good deal of nuisance, and I don't see how the shift intrinsically favors one dealer over another...kinda pushes it down to a question of the Rule of Law which is not such a clear issue to many people of say post-WWII vintage as it possibly was before.

When money beyond strict reimbursement changes hands I suspect that VW do have a cost in that failing to pursue the matter might influence their ability to recover if someone *did* at some point try to use the information competitively against them. The sort of thing Frank is doing follows the shareware model where people can charge reasonably for distribution of a free product but not for the product itself. But it blurs a line which I suspect VW would like to keep crystal clear. Same thing potentially with the software developers I guess. I'm sure their actual obligation to VW doesn't go beyond refusing to distribute or sanction distribution.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"