Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:15:53 -0800
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      one van for two people?

This probably isn't the best place to bring this up, since it is a biased audience, but i'm curious about what your thoughts are.

Since moving up here to Vancouver, BC, and still searching for a job, money things have become more of an issue since neither of us are employed (she is a student). Lately, my '84 westy has been a topic of conversation. In particular, whether or not we should keep it. We now live in a community where we are delightfully free to get around via foot, bike, and bus, so having two vehicles really isn’t necessary (although i’m not sure how a job would affect all that). There are two fairly divided camps of thought on this in our household:

Hers - if we are only going to pare down to a single vehicle, the van is not the most practical one for what we use it for (basic transportation). She does not want to feel trapped into driving a vehicle she thinks is relatively unsafe (less than inspiring brakes, no airbags, no abs, etc.), has a blind spot (why do all vans have the same dent in the rear bumper), and is not known for being the most reliable vehicle in the world... Basically, if we are sharing a vehicle, she wants a modern, reliable, economical, and safe one (small, too).

His - I've very recently spent a *lot* of time and money on this van. It is in really good shape, and since my dad is the original owner, all my family vacations were in it, so i kind of grew up in it. Yes, there still are a few, um... quirks (mainly with the FI adapting to the larger engine), but i honestly feel everything is reliable now (new hydraulics, rebuilt tranny, new engine, new etc. etc... deluding myself?). However, i do understand that a small car like a honda is better suited for around-town driving, gets better gas mileage, etc., so a lot of my attachment is an emotional one, not a rational one.

This is starting to be a bit of a contentious issue in our house, and i'm wondering if i am being silly holding on to a van as a potential single vehicle that my wife *really* doesn't want to be committed to as our sole means of transportation. Another car would do what we need quite well, but i simply like this one.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this (and serious ones, please... last time i posted something involving my wife, i received a disturbing number of misogynistic responses)

Thanks, -Damon

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (wow... it actually works!)