Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:02:13 -0700
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: one van for two people?

Hi Damon, Women tend to be most sensitive to financial security, and I don't mean they are money hungry, just sensitive to security, and $$$ is part of the center of that. When that gets threatened, it often comes out sideways at people, places, things and situations that represent a threat to that security. Your van may seem that way right now. Men tend to invest a lot of their feeling secure and comfortable to job and work, a high priority. Also some of the relationships in that environment. In this day and age these "tendencies" get blurred because roles are no longer defined the way they used to be. Right now, however, it sounds like you represent the "bread-winner" role and she is relying on you that way because of her status as student. Makes the situation more volatile and sensitive to security threat. You've just moved to another location and are adjusting to that so you don't have some of the familiar and secure environmental supports; you are unemployed and likely "out of role" in that position; she's in school and relying on you as the bread winner and this van likely seems impractical and to be getting in the way of her security and an external, material object that represents a cause of her anxiety. The van "appears" to get in the way of her getting an education and feeling safe. I don't know if the two of you know many people with similar interests that you can "hang" with some of the time there, but if that can be facilitated it may give an audience to some of the concerns you both have while you adjust to your new circumstances. Sometimes the wisest thing to be done is no-thing, but while that is going on being able to express your concerns and anxiety, conflicts, etc., is the best medicine. It's possible to likely that things external to each of you, look like the problem when it's mostly about the feelings you are both having while in your current circumstances. Making material changes may help, but also may not and when that happens, it can make the situation and the 2 of you feel more hopeless and overwhelmed, and like a big mistake. So, TALKING, and not just with each other, about some of these frustrations and concerns, can help get that out of the way so you can practice a little more of what attracted the two of you to each other, know what I mean ;>) Getting rid of the van may turn out to be an emotional anchor later, a kind of resentment builder, for both of you. For you because she "made me do it" and you've lost something valuable that represented more fun and serene times, and something that represents a secure family. She because she "made you do it" to satisfy her feelings of insecurity. Nothing wrong with hanging onto something that has positive emotional baggage attached to it. And, maybe most important of all, you two will survive this just fine. This part is the heat of the moment and feels like it needs "fixing" right now. Hope this works out reasonably and amicably for you two. You deserve it. And, pardon my psycho-babble ramble if it seems that way. Bob