Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:06:27 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: ETKA & ELSA ?  Canada different than the US?
Comments: To: THX0001@aol.com

on 21/11/03 10:55 am, THX0001@aol.com wrote:

> I've grown to embrace Michael Moore's idea (in "Bowling for Columbine") that > Canada is different from the US: in Canada fear is not used to maintain an > orderly society. > > Perhaps VW could lead us all to ethical behavior by posting the EKTA on their > site for the free use by anyone with a need for it. After all, it was > originally the People's Car. > > George

George,

hey I think you're a great guy and all :) but I wouldn't put Canada on a pedestal.

Our society, unlike the US, is all too willing to accept a measure of a police state. Apart from recent US history ("patriot act" etc), the US is (by dint of all the ornery libertarians etc) a beacon of individual rights and freedoms.

We have roadblocks here fer Christ's sake! For drunk drivers ostensibly, but roadblocks without a good reason is, I believe, not permitted down south.

Have talked at length with my criminal lawyer bros-in-law about the differences north and south, we have come up with many fanciful theories, but we all agree that Canadian society is more "pliable" than US society.

(even though, from a distance, the US public seem like a bunch of morons sometimes *S*)

Now, you should know that invoking the "people's car" appellation is not the wisest debating point.

:)

Alistair