Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:25:53 -0700
From:         Jim and Kelly Harpe <kitchenware@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Is my distributor toast? Pic link enclosed.

I pulled this rotor http://home.comcast.net/~kitchenware/images/131_3118-1.jpg a couple weeks ago when some new bosch wires self destructed (2 bad ends on the distributor side). It also toasted my cap and this rotor too. However, my new rotor is showing signs of wear in the same fashion, but not this bad yet. I can't tell for sure, but does it look like the distributor is wobbling and doing this? I've wiggled the distributor shaft and I can't really feel play, well it moves, but it looks like it's the whole distributor and even the mount, but that's some intense wiggling. Nothing out of the ordinary for say an aircooled beetle (what I'm used to working on). The van has a slight miss above 4100 rpms, but is otherwise perfect. Also, I might add that the idle stabilizer thing was disconnected a couple weeks ago too, after it decided 3200 was a good idle. I've got one on the way, but I didn't think it could cause my high rpm miss. Any thoughts?

This is my 3rd Vanny (1st watercooled) and I'm about at my wits end here lately with all the stupid little things that are giving up. :) That being said, let me brag on her (knocking on wood while typing) 232,000 miles on the thing with NO major engine work, original heads. Doesn't leak a drop of anything, no smoke, no ticks.

Thanks!

Jim Harpe 86 GL