Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:08:28 -0500
From:         "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: RE: "Green" solar battery charger
Comments: To: Tom Ring <taring@TARING.ORG>

tom:

(1) as you well know, an ohm's law device is one in which current is proportional to voltage: I = V/R. double the voltage and the current doubles; halve the voltage and the current drops to half; reverse the voltage and the current changes sign. an ordinary copper wire is a good example of a practical ohm's law device.

(2) a diode does not obey ohm's law. in particular, reverse the voltage on an initially forward biased diode and the current stops.

(3) perhaps in the experiment you alluded to current was measured for a number of different voltages, and effective resistances were computed by dividing voltage by current for each V,I combination - is it possible that it was these computed resistances that fit accepted resistance values to an accuracey of 1%? surely the diode didn't agree with ohm's law to within 1%.

(4) simply diving voltage by current to compute resistance is not an application of ohm's law. ohm's law is very special, and when a device obeys ohm's law, it really means that R = constant and the current follows the straight line relationship, I =V/R. a good analogy might be that we wouldn't say that a parabala was a straight line because we could compute the slope of the tangent line at every point on the curve.

(5) no device obeys ohm's law exactly, and ohm's law fails for all devices at sufficiently high voltages.

dlk