Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:26:11 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      1000 miles this previous weekend

Okay, I'll admit to being mildly insane at times. I bid (and won) an eBay (ePay) auction for a pinball machine. The location was essentially Louisville Kentucky. I live in the suburbs of Washington DC. I decided to go and pick up the pinball machine, rather than have it shipped. My beast of burden for this enterprise was the GoldBrick, my 86 Syncro Passenger Vanagon that has a Tiico engine in it.

Louisville is a long drive from Washington, but I had an ace in the hole. I could drive out to my WV place (Pendleton Country, WV) on Friday and use it as a layover point so that the round trip would be nearly 300 miles shorter...

Friday, get out of work, and inspect the GoldBrick prior to departure. Good thing I did. Alternator belt is worn and very loose (which is why it is probably so chewed up. Replace and snug it down. Oil is fine, but should be changed soon (after the trip). Coolant level fine. Head off and sleep the night away in WV.

Saturday. I set my PDA to wake me 10 minutes before 9am. Get up, shower, ready to headout... Um, apparently my PDA is still on Daylight savings. It's only 8:30am. Ah, well. Get some caffience to kick start my day, and head out. It's 9am. First gas station, Franklin, WV (county seat).

I continue west on US 33, seeing snow on the ground on the higher elevations of the Allegheny Front. A cloudy day, but mostly dry. The engine handles the 10% grade of the Allegheny Front with aplomb. A few more miles down the road and I get to open things up as I get onto Corridor H (near interstate grade highway through the center of WV). Make it to Elkins WV by 10:45am. Hmm. It's Saturday, that means I can grab breakfast still at McD's. Do so.

Continue West on US 33 till I get to I-79. Then South on I-79 through the backbone of the Allegheny Plateau in WV. Beautiful curvy road. 70mph speed limit, which I slow to when climbing some of the hills (no choice in the matter).

Get to Charleston WV around 1pm. Speed enforcement folk are out in force. Just as well, as the Interstate has sharp turns in Charleston. Cross the Kanawha River multiple times. I love the name so the towns in this section of WV. Nitro. Hurricane. Makes one feel so safe....

Cross Big Sandy River and enter Kentucky. Speed limit drops to 65. Pay no attention to it. One stop for gas in Kentucky but otherwise 3 hours of straight roads to Louisville. Get to listen to University of Kentucky lose to Vanderbilt in college football (better choice than "country music" in my view...)

Louisville. Where I'm actually going is Indiana suburbs, so cross Ohio River. Get off at exit 4 (middle of construction). Find I can't get where I'm going as major intersection is closed. Take detour. Continue on detour. Continue on detour. (this is ridiculous). End up adding 20 minutes to journey due to detour.

Get to location (4:30pm) . Play machine (yea!) Then take machine down, and trundle it into the side of the Vanagon (middle seat removed). Ready to head back out. Time is 5:40pm.

Take different route back to interstate. Cross same railroad tracks a dozen times (mild exaggeration, but only just.) Get on I-65 South. Suddenly right lane stops dead (I'm one lane over, but that right lane is where I need to be.) I do >NOT< slam on breaks to cut it. Rather I continue onward. Wise decision, turns out van (US mini-van) broken down on bridge in right lane. Pass broken down vehicle, cut back into right lane and get to exit and get on I-64 head East again.

Stop at rest stop (got to bathrooms before hundreds of kids make it out of tour busses). Head back onto road, stop for gas and a Frisco Burger at Steak 'n Shake. Continue east. Stop near Charleston for gas in the mistaken idea I won't need to fill up again.

North on I-79. Avoid deer. Avoid deer carcass. Avoid OTHER deer carcass.

Midnight. Elkins again. Zombified driving no longer practical. Slow down to posted levels. Really! Especially turns.

1am Franklin. Stop and refuel again. Been getting 16mpg, which is really low (need to tune this beast up, but 80 mph continuous driving isn't helping the fuel mileage). Crawl into my WV place at 2am. Zonk out.

Eventually return home to Virginia on Sunday, still feeling pretty zonky. Set up machine. Play one game (gotta level the machine before I play it again.) then to bed.

All told, that was probably around 1100 miles this weekend (with about 800 of those miles on the drive to and from Louisville).

Tiico handled things pretty well, but I gotta have JUST a little more power for those grades so I can maintain 80 mph going up hill. :)