Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:05:28 -0800
From:         "S.E. Booth" <lonesomedog@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Dometic Fridge Model RM 182B questions

I have the Dometic 182B installed in my recently acquired '90 synchro westy and need some help determining if it is working properly on propane. It doesn't seem like it stays cool nearly as well as the Dometics in my previous '83 diesel westy and '90 westy.

I have no problems getting it to light and it cools down to about 38 to 40°F. The problem is after several days of continuous operation on propane, the refrigerator warms up to around 60°F inside and will not cool down again. I have a nice blue flame, not a yellow one. There is no ice build-up, so there is nothing to defrost. I have tried setting the temperature control valve at the half-way point like the instruction booklet suggests. I have also tried it on the max setting, same thing happens. The cooling fan goes on and off when the outside air temp is hot, so that appears to be working properly. The only thing that I have found that works is to shut off the unit for a couple of days and then when I run it again it works for a couple of days, then the same thing happens. I made sure all the vents were free from obstructions as well as keeping the stuff in the side cabinet, away from the copper lines, so there is plenty of room for airflow. I took a two month trip this summer driving from San Diego to Deadhorse, Alaska and back again and it was a real bummer that I couldn't use my fridge the whole time. I figured with cooler outside air temps that it won't have to work as hard and might stay cool, but no such luck. I ended up using an ice chest instead.

What is the opinion on operating the fridge on propane while driving? This is my third westy and none of the fridges have ever worked very well on 12V. They tend to warm up to about 65° F, which defeats the purpose. I have heard that some volks actually run theirs on propane while driving. Is this safe?

Another strange thing is those pesky LEDs, which work great, except the water tank level indicators show the tank is half full (or half empty) when it is actually empty. Anybody know how to fix this?

Also, I am missing the molded, smoke colored, plastic piece that fits into the refrigerator door to form a small storage shelf. Does anyone have one available or know of a source for this part?

Sue B. 90 Synchro Westy SeaBus