Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:31:20 -0500
From:         Daniel Erlandson <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET>
Subject:      Re: AT gasket
Comments: To: Phil Zimmerman <phil.zimmerman@mail.crcn.net>

Thanks for the info Phil > Yeah, been there. Followed all the basics in the Bentley....... > Clean......clean...... more clean the mating surfaces with LINT free > cloth. > Torque in stages..... I don't have my Bentley in front of me right > now.... > but goes something like this: Torque in stages diagonally to XXft#.... > wait > XX#of minutes (recall 5min.) ..... torque to final value! Did this the > first time and like your report, had a small weep from one corner, > after > about 2 days of city driving. Drained the Trans (oh well.... getting > all the > fluid out of the torque converter and trans. dead volume) Replaced > fluid and > did the torque in stages again with an additional 5ft/lbs added to the > Bentley spec. for "good measure". Ureeka..... no leaks. My main problem was that the gasket seemed to be pulling off of the convex rim that is on the AT pan. Just in one place (the corner) I tried stretching it a bit but she didn't want to stay put so I used a little gasket sealant under the gasket and that seemed to keep it in place enough to allow me to tighten the pan in a diagonal fashion. Took it for a spin and it looks good. I'll let my wife drive it for a week before I say the job is finished.

Dan Erlandson Flemington, NJ 1991 Vanagon GL 180k 1999 Passat 1.8L 120k