Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:12:44 -0500
From:         Jon Schaer <jschaer@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: replacing clutch master cylinder

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wesley Alden Pegden" <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>

> I've got a leaking clutch master cylinder ( I just changed the brake > mc---it was leaking too). It looks like they're $50 on busdepot. Are > there still rebuild kits available, and is that an option I should > consider? >

Skip the rebuild. Not worth the $$$ saved. The cylinder R&R is easier than I expected, especially given the space to work with. Clutch and brakes are common reservoir, but separate systems. Have towels ready, and a plug, for the res hose after you unhook it from the MC (though I barely got a dribble - it's just gravity fed).

For the bleeding you're supposed to use a pressure bleeder, but you can do it just like brakes (pedal pressure) if you chock the clutch arm at the trans.

Personally, if the MC is shot just due to age, I'd go ahead and to both. The slave actually takes more abuse (being exposed and mounted on the engine), so it could huff a week later and you get to do the whole shebang again.

I had an apparent clutch failure. No leaks, so I did the slave. Worked great for about 10 miles, then gradually lost it again. OK, do the master. Still nothing. Air? Bleed again, still nothing. Drop the trans. The previous clutch job (previous owner - fairly recent) had used reman parts. One of the springs in the disc had broken and jammed down in the pressure plate fingers. Shucks!

Jon Schaer Columbus, OH 85 GL 138,000