Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:09:02 -0800
From:         jbclem <jbclem@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      185 R14 on front, 205's on the rear...good idea?

As I've recently learned alot about tires, I've come to realize that one possible reason for my 83 Westphalia being so hard to steer when I'm parking it is the front tire size. I've been using 205-75-R14 passenger tires on the front and rear and for years I've been wondering why it's so much harder to park this car than it used to be. It takes muscle to get into a tight parking spot on the curb. I even bought new springs on this list a few years ago, thinking that might improve the steering situation. It didn't make much difference.

I'm now thinking about using 185 width for the front tires, and 205 width on the rear (which I need because I live on a dirt road and cross a creek everyday). Does anyone know if this is a good or bad idea. The narrower tires might make a big difference in the steering problem, but how would they track with the wider tires on the rear? And would it matter much if there was a height difference?

Yeah, I know now about passenger tires on a Westphalia, but when I didn't know the difference I had to believe the tire stores when they told me they was ok.

John