Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:10:53 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Front AC System Failures - European Cooler Air

Larry,

The most simple solution to your problem is to return to Alaska, at -20F you won't even think about your A/C issues. If you really want Roadhaus to see Mexico I would be happy to fly down and take it there myself, for a nominal fee of course, even without working A/C.

Mark in AK

Volks,

I purchased a "Front AC System" from European Cooler Air, Inc.for my VW Camper Van .. last year.

Drove to Dallas and had the owner, Jerry West install the system and re-con my factory rear system.

Since that time I haven't been able to get the system to work consistently.

The current problem ... is "blown compressors". I have gone thru two so far.

Before I give up on getting this system to work ... I wanted to seek outythe groups advice.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

Overview:

Have been traveling in mild climates, mostly, so haven't really needed to use it much.

But have turned the system on for 5 minutes every couple of weeks to keep things lubed. No problem at those times.

However ... everytime I go to really use it, something happens.

First time: NO AC / Problem ... Leaking Schrader valve.

Action: System evacuated, value replaced, system filled with R12 (original Freeze 12 not available)

Result: Works fine ... But not needed

Second Time: No AC / Problem .... Compressor seized

Action: Replaced Compressor and refilled system with R12

Result: Works Fine ... But not needed

Third Time: Fan belt started squealing, Compressor not turned on / Problem ... Compressor seized

Action: To be determined.

Note ... Was talking with a AC guy last night. He thinks the problem may be not enough AC Lubricant in the larger capacity system.

Planned Action: I'll consult a couple more AC people and see if they feel this is a possible failure cause. If they agree, I'll replace the compressor, have extra lube added and try "ONE MORE TIME".

What are your thoughts?

all roads lead to Mexican VW repair shops,

Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: <http://www.roadhaus.com/> www.RoadHaus.com Cell: 480 620 8966 What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: North headin South