Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:32:35 -0400
From:         hosel <hosel@QUIK.COM>
Subject:      Re: My lights on in order to start car problem

In pursuit of solving my having to turn on either the parking or headlights so the car will start, I've come up with two suggestions.

Sug. 1 is that there is a faulty ground somewhere and the ignition somehow is talking power from the light circuit in order to start. This came from a long time VW mechanic. He suggested living with the problem.....

Sug. 2 is that someone in the past messed with the relays and put one back in the wrong location. This was suggested by my German mechanic friend who hasn't worked on VWs since he escaped Germany for better bucks... Martin can be intuitive at times and so I'd like to get some help from anyone on this list that just might happen to have a 90 GL in their stable..... I took a picture of my van's fuse / relay situation. I can send that to the person who has a 90' GL if they exist and also are willing to help me with this pesky problem. Simply let me know if the number of relays and location is the same as yours.... If it isn't... then maybe the problem will go away if I change my relays to match yours... If they're the same, well on to other theories.....

If anyone with a similar van can help please email me back...

Thanks Jim