Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 2003 06:36:16 -0800
From:         Pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Caught doing 55 in a 25!  What to do!

Humorous at best. However, 0 to 55 in a Standard Vanagon using 1st and 2d with SVX installed is still a pretty big stretch. That's accelerating a 4800lb car or 5200 in my case to 55mph with an SVX in an eighth of a mile. Not that I doubt your friends story but ...

Here's mine: Traveling near Eagles Nest NM at 8500 feet into a heavy quartering wind (35mph) a young whippersnapper of New Mexico's finest tabbed me at 65 in a 55, he was going the other way pulled a Uey and followed me for more than a mile before lighting up. When I had seen him far in the distance, I had reduced my speed to ~60. Obviously miffed the punkette dude with the big bad badge and big gun on his hip just had to try to nip me. When he was following me for the mile or so I was carefully moseying at the speed limit. This guy's attitude was hostile, he made threating remarks, refused to answer normal questions and said I had to pay the fine right now. A careful check with NMDOT revealed I had two weeks to decide on my plea and I could enter a plea by fax or phone if I had an out of state drivers license. Local judaspriest (JP) felt that it was unlikely a vanagon camper could do that. I agreed, unlikely, but ...

FWIW 55 mph in 2d gear would put this hotshot above the revlimiter on his normally geared 4.86 vanagon. Not bloody likely.

Good story though. With the SVX torque range >200lbs-ft from 2000 to 6000 a three speed is quite sufficient and if you make the top a 0.77 you can cruise at 70 indicated whilst ticking over at a paltry 3000RPM.

Remember it's a 5200lb truck with the aerodynamics of a cinderblock, Much better to get a plain ol SVX, put a honda logo on it and smoke a few of the unsuspecting. Did that with a pigbuttugly alfa TI super with an excellent Autodelta dual plug 1600cc whapping out a blistering 175DIN at 7500RPM. Looked like a Renault R10 with bad paint. Q-ships are cool. But I'm older now.

So...you said....

Subject: Caught doing 55 in a 25! What to do!

Here's the story:

My friend gets in his SVX-powered Vanagon (245 HP) and nails it in second gear. Before he knows it he's clocked by a motorcycle cop. The cop pulls him over and the conversation goes something like this:

Cop: Sir, do you know why I'm pulling you over? Him: I think so. I was speeding. Cop: Do you know how fast you were going? Him: I don't know, but I was getting it pretty good. (We're in Alabama here) Cop: I clocked you doing 55 Mph in a 25 zone. Him: Really? Cop: You really weren't going 55, were you? Him: Sir, honestly, I don't know. Cop: My Father used to have one of these and I know there's no way in hell they can get to 55 Mph in less than one block. Him: Realy? Yeah, they are pretty slow. Cop: I tell you what (shaking his head). There has got to be something wrong with my radar gun, so I'll make you a deal. You slow down, I'll go get my radar gun calibrated, and we'll pretend this never happened. Him: Sounds like a great deal to me. Thanks. Cop: (handing back his license) Have a good night, sir.

Isn't that great! ;-) I need an SVX engine with a 5-speed transmission... DAMN!

Chris S. '85 Westy