Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Nov 2003 07:31:40 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Suburban Heater
Comments: To: Skip Emmert-Keaton <skip@SKIPEMMERT.COM>

You have one of the best of heaters from my point of view. I had one of these in my 68' Loaf and it was terrific. I lived in Alaska at the time, and that heater performed great!! Mine was mounted on the floor bhind the back seat directly against the left sidewall. It had a "Zero" pressure inlet/outlet combustion air intake and exhaust. I had it wired to a thermostat on the door post just behind the driver seat so it could be easily reached. The thermostat was one of the types that had an "OFF" position on it, so I could shut down the heater when I wanted. It had an electronic ignition instead of a pilot light. I much preferred this system to the pilot light arrangement that was in the Suburban heater in my motor home. In my van I put a timer on the system so that the heater would light off 1/2 hour before I got off work or would go to work. On cold and snowy days, it was great. heater came out of a motor home that burned.. It really put out a lot of heat. As I recall it was 30-40,000 btu output. The thing would melt the snow off the van before I would get off work!!!

It has been a log time since I worked with a subsurban, and don't remember some of the specifics about the heaters, but the manual start unit in my motor home, as I recall, was a piezio-electric start type. I think it had a pilot valve that had to be opened and a button had to be depressed to open the valve to provide gas flow while the piezo-electric button was being depressed. Once my Piezo stopped working, but I was able to light the pilot flame with a fireplace match.

The Suburban I had in the van was the electric ignition type. If the switch was in the "ON" position, and current provided, the electronic ignition would begin firing, a valve would open to provide gas, and the flame would ignite. Once the flame came on, heat triggered a shutoff of the ignition circuit. The process was almost instantaneous. The electronic Surburban often would lose its fire when I would hit a bump, and the ignition would automatically kick in to relight the furnace. A very nice arrangement.

I really liked having a heat source in the van separate from the vehicles standard heating, in this case the heat from the air-cooled engine of the '68 Loaf. My next vehicle in Alaska was my 85 GL Vanagon, and the heater was not as necessary for it as it was for the air-cooled vehicle, but I had come to a point where I was getting ready to put in a new suburban. That separate heater is so great for activities outdoors when the vehicle is parked. Makes a great warm-up when on ski trips, etc.

Wish you success in getting this unit running. They are great!!

Regards,