Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:51:40 -0800
From:         Chris Radcliffe <chrisr_vanagon@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: (NVC) Scion xB
Comments: To: Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>

The xB is really nothing like the Element. Smaller, more fragile, lower to the ground. Just cute packaging of an econobox. I've driven an Echo a little, and found it both very spartan and very reliable, Toyota-ish. The xB is probably an OK vehicle, mechanically. But it is not a mini-SUV (or a Mini Cooper, for that matter).

I seriously considered buying an Element recently, drove one around for a longer than usual test drive, multiple dealers, took measurements etc... but convinced myself to hold off for a number of reasons, one of which is to see what VW does with the new microbus (so far, my hopes are not high). I carry surfboards, and found it just a bit too small. And my Vanagon is not suitable for my commute, so I'll continue to drive two vehicles. The xB is not a contender for me at all.

Futher editorial on the "new microbus", skip or read as you wish: If Honda made a version of their Odyssey minivan with the same design patterns of the Element, well, I'd likely be driving one. Maybe VW will notice the Element, pull their heads out of their me-too-SUV-Touareg tailpipe and consider what Element owners (and Vanagon owners) use their vehicles for, and apply that to a version of the new microbus. If not, well, they'll have their cushy, cutesy minivan that really only moves people around, just another station wagon replacement with less utility than what we had in the '60s', so it may be new but it won't be a microbus.

ChrisR '90 Westy Auto "Blue Whale"