Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:13:43 -0800
From:         Skip Emmert-Keaton <skip@SKIPEMMERT.COM>
Subject:      Underpowered?  Can't be this bad.

Well, we never made it to Phoenix this weekend. After about 100 miles into a 20mph head wind, we gave up and turned around. Driving into the wind we never got over 50 mph and 4th gear couldn't sustain forward speed. I'm getting what sounds to me to be a regular miss at idle (to my untrained ear). Is this performance level normal for the Luftboxers or am I running on three cylinders? I almost hope that's the case. I did find one cracked plug cap, but replacing the wires and caps didn't fix the irregular idle. What's the next likely culprit?

Upon arriving at the house, I also noticed the fuel pump seems to keep running after I turn the key off. Not a huge problem since we keep the batteries turned off, but what are the thoughts on this? Do Westy's do this to keep pressure in the system or do I have a bad relay somewhere?

Finally, still fighting the hot start problem. I was going to add the starter relay to the van, but I discovered the PO had already added it. So much for that fix. Just a recap, when the van is hot, the starter will not turn at all. I tried to check the starter solenoid to see if it was getting power, but I must not understand it as well as I thought. I placed a voltmeter across the two large terminals and it read just over 12 v...the catch is that the key was in the 'off' position, not 'on' or 'start'. Can anyone give me a quick primer on which terminals should show power under the various key positions?

Thanks for any help,

Skip Emmert-Keaton 1980 Westy <unnamed>