Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:01:02 -1000
From:         Grungy <grungy@MINDLESS.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant leak question...

The leak appears to be mostly gone. As far as Gerald's response - both of the coolant tubes have intact metal inserts on both ends. I tried the two-clamp method but it still leaked.

I looked at the back end (the intact end) of the old tube that was just replaced and noticed that the first three centimeters or so behind the fat end of the tube is a slightly smaller diameter than the rest of the tube and that there is a band of knurling beyond this that appears to mean "shove the hose to here". The hose wasn't shoved on that far, so I removed the clamps and pushed it on as far as it would go, then installed the wider of the two hose clamps. It now has a small seep - doesn't form drops that gravity plays with, just sort of stays damp. Drove it around and didn't see any drips or puddles.

I made a conscious effort this time to make sure that the fat end of the tube was jammed into the hose until it wouldn't go any farther and then tightened the hose clamp as close to the bulge from the tube as I could. This puts tension on the unclamped side and pressure on the clamped side. Maybe it will hold. I still smell coolant when I get out, but I can't find any obvious leaks. Maybe it's a head gasket too. I'll watch the coolant tanks.

While this stuff had my attention the odometer decided that it had had enough at 201554. The speedometer still works, but the miles are no longer counted. An odd un-coupling of the function of this gauge - I've never seen a VW/VDO speedo/odo die like this before. The Bozobus ate a *bunch* of speedo cables, but that lost both measurements. I'll miss estimating the MPG...

At 12:00 AM -0500 11/29/03, Automatic digest processor wrote: >Subject: > >My '90 GL has a coolant leak up front, where the radiator hoses meet >the long coolant tubes. After replacing both hoses there was still a >leak. One of the long coolant tubes had no plastic end on it - and >it appeared to be the leaky one, so the tube was replaced. After the >replacement, the other tube/hose interface is leaking - drip, drip, >drip. *sigh* >Took it apart and found some plastic "whiskers" protruding from the >back side of the fat part of the plastic end on the tube. These were >cut off. Checked the hose with my finger to see if there was any >gross evidence of cuts - didn't feel any. Put it all back together >again. Drip, drip, drip. *big sigh* > >The plastic tube appears to be solid, but the pair keep leaking. >Can over-tightening of the hose clamp make it leak more? >I'm using screw-type hose clamps and three out of the four don't leak. > >Is there any way to seal this up without replacing the long coolant tube? >Sealant? Putty? Two hose-clamps? One of VW's spring-clamps? >-- > >From: Gerald Masar > >On a '90 the plastic tubes should have a metal insert in each end, >where the hoses are >clamped. The insert keeps the plastic from deforming. They can rust >or otherwise move >out of position. > >From: Bob Stevens > >I had that same symptom on my '91 Westy and just put 2 clamps on each end >and it stopped. That lasted 3 years and no signs of leaking up to the time I >sold it.

--

bcnu - Grungy (Kailua, HI) opinions are just that.obviously. '60 dddPanel '69 Bug '90 Vanagon '93 Eurovan '00 Audi A6 Avant g r u n g y AT g r u n g y DOT c o m