Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:00:06 -0800
From:         Peter Igo <printmasterstudio@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Have you ever replace your heads??!!

Dear fellow Vanagon owners,

Have you ever replace your heads??!! I wanted to know what your symptoms were before you replaced them??? Were you simply having some coolant leak off the engine?? was your coolant resevoir low?? Or were you having "missing" problems?? or power failure?? My symptom is that the engine is "missing" intermittantly. I can drive it for 30 min and it may not "miss" once, but then I might just drive around the block and it might "miss" once or twenty times. I want to make sure I am using the correct termonology here: when i say "missing" I mean that I will be driving my '87 VW vanagon Syncro along, at any speed, everything is going smoothly, and then there is an instantaneous loss of power, just for about a quarter of a second. The whole van "shutters" for an instant, then its back to driving smoothly, except that this effect may happen repeatedly. And I think if I put in the clutch and look at the guage, that the rpm's drop way down almost to nothing when it "misses". It may be at that point that the only thing that keeps the van going is its momentum, which essentially "roll starts" the engine back on again?? (not, when the cluch is in tho, I mean when its out). I have had a small amount of coolant leakege for several years, but only minor. This missing just started recently. I took the van to a vw repair shop here and he flatly said that i needed new heads, and that would be $1800. I want to make sure it is the heads, before I replace them.

I can get a whole new rebuilt engine for $1800, (plus installation). I would rather do that, but I first want to make sure it is the heads?? If its really an electrical problem, for example, replacing the engine won't do a bit of good! Thanks for any responses,

Peter '87 VW vanagon Syncro 110K

Peter@santafe-websitedesign.com

===== please reply to: printmasterstudio@yahoo.com Please visit : santafe-websitedesign.com