Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Dec 2003 17:13:54 -0500
From:         Curt Lewis <curtis-l-lewis@CFL.RR.COM>
Subject:      2.1L Align bore and main bearings

I am going to rebuild my 2.1L engine in my '85 vanagon. I am not new to the list but unsubscribed probably a year ago because the project got put on the back burner. The times I did use the list server in the past, I got great responses.

The engine is tore down and the #1 main bearing was chewed up pretty good. Running my fingernail across the #1 bearing journal of the crankshaft it catches. So either I need a new crankshaft or get this one turned down and/or polished. Turn down or get a new one? I'd like new but will have to make that call later.

My concern is align boring the crankcase and then deciding which bearings I need. I did a search of the archives of the list and some of the hits came up about how to figure which bearing is needed and getting the right amount of bearing crush. I'm still confused on the proper way to determine it. I do understand that deciding which bearings I need depends on if I get a new crank or reworked crank.

How do I determine proper bearing size, with respect to the case, and still get proper bearing crush? Should I send off the case and shaft to someone and let them figure it out? Has anyone sent off their case and shaft to have them worked on? If so who was it and how much did it cost? Or what should the ballpark cost be? Should I skip the align bore and just get a new or reworked crankshaft? (I'm thinking due to the damage of the bearing that an align bore might be warranted.) Does anyone know of a good machinist in the Melbourne/Orlando/West Palm Beach Florida area?

I plan on buying most if not all things new, but I feel I can't move forward on anything until I get a good idea of what I need to do and how I'm going to get it done with respect to the case and crankshaft. I know this has been hashed and rehashed on this list, but I just can't seem to find the info I need.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Curt