Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:08:51 -0800
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Re:      Re: 2.1L Align bore and main bearings

Thanx Zoltan,

I was typing too fast. Zoltan is correct, the correct conversion when looking for oversize bearings is:

.010" = .25mm .020" = .50mm

--- zolo <zolo@foxinternet.net> wrote: > From: "zolo" <zolo@foxinternet.net> > To: "Zoran Mladen" <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM> > Subject: Re: Re: 2.1L Align bore and main > bearings > Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:35:02 -0800 > > There could be a misunderstanding with the metric > and inch conversion. What > I see; 0.025mm equals 0.010" is not correct. It > should be 0.001" or the > metric should be 0.250mm. > Zoltan > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Zoran Mladen" <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 4:13 PM > Subject: Re: 2.1L Align bore and main bearings > > > > You will need to get bearings to match the align > > boring and grinding you have done. You will need > to > > take the case and crank to a machine shop to have > them > > look at it. If the damage is minimal, they can > bore > > and grind each one .025mm (.010"). If the damage > is > > substantial, they will have to bore/grind .050mm > > (.020"). The case can be ground to one dimension > and > > the crank to another - they do not have to be the > > same. Once this is done. you can order your > bearings > > and begin the rebuild. > > > > Z > > > > > > --- Curt Lewis <curtis-l-lewis@CFL.RR.COM> wrote: > > > I am going to rebuild my 2.1L engine in my '85 > > > vanagon. I am not new to the > > > list but unsubscribed probably a year ago > because > > > the project got put on the > > > back burner. The times I did use the list > server in > > > the past, I got great > > > responses. > > > > > > The engine is tore down and the #1 main bearing > was > > > chewed up pretty good. > > > Running my fingernail across the #1 bearing > journal > > > of the crankshaft it > > > catches. So either I need a new crankshaft or > get > > > this one turned down > > > and/or polished. Turn down or get a new one? > I'd > > > like new but will have to > > > make that call later. > > > > > > My concern is align boring the crankcase and > then > > > deciding which bearings I > > > need. I did a search of the archives of the > list > > > and some of the hits came > > > up about how to figure which bearing is needed > and > > > getting the right amount > > > of bearing crush. I'm still confused on the > proper > > > way to determine it. I > > > do understand that deciding which bearings I > need > > > depends on if I get a new > > > crank or reworked crank. > > > > > > How do I determine proper bearing size, with > respect > > > to the case, and still > > > get proper bearing crush? > > > Should I send off the case and shaft to someone > and > > > let them figure it out? > > > Has anyone sent off their case and shaft to have > > > them worked on? > > > If so who was it and how much did it cost? Or > what > > > should the ballpark cost > > > be? > > > Should I skip the align bore and just get a new > or > > > reworked crankshaft? (I'm > > > thinking due to the damage of the bearing that > an > > > align bore might be > > > warranted.) > > > Does anyone know of a good machinist in the > > > Melbourne/Orlando/West Palm > > > Beach Florida area? > > > > > > I plan on buying most if not all things new, but > I > > > feel I can't move forward > > > on anything until I get a good idea of what I > need > > > to do and how I'm going > > > to get it done with respect to the case and > > > crankshaft. I know this has > > > been hashed and rehashed on this list, but I > just > > > can't seem to find the > > > info I need. > > > > > > Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. > Thanks. > > > > > > Curt > > > > > > __________________________________ > > Do you Yahoo!? > > Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now > > http://companion.yahoo.com/ >