Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:29:29 -0500
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Re: WTB: Adaptor Plate for Stock Diesel Vanagon
Comments: To: Daniel Stevens <dosteven@syr.edu>

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Daniel Stevens wrote:

> indeed the engine compartment hoses.. and though I have an extra set (in > reserve) I am one that would prefer to run easier to replace onthe road > straight hose and copper fittinggs.. when cleaned and painted black the > fittings are surprisingly good looking.

I've thought of doing this too. My hoses are currently in good shape, but they won't last forever and it'd be hard to replace one if it blew on the road. Maybe a project for next summer. If I do it while my current hoses are still good I can carry them as spares.

I'm also thinking of installing a tank-type coolant preheater. I think it'd work well to splice the preheater output in where the heater hose leaves the head and the return where the heater hose return comes into the engine bay. (There's even already a coupling here.) If I get around to trying it I'll post about it to the list. Probably won't be until next fall, though. Too cold to work on it now, and in the summer there's no incentive. ;)

> besides I removed my oil to water cooler they are prone to failure with > age and leak oil in the water misleading to a bad head gasket.. so that > those 'looped' lines would look out of place anyways..

How did this affect your oil temp? I'm kind of afraid to remove mine; I figure in a normal front-engine car you get some air cooling of the block and oil pan but that wouldn't be the case in a Vanagon.

> though I wonder whtat the TIICO hoses are and if they are more > reasonably priced then the 81-83 diesels.

I think the question is whether they'd fit the coolant pipes in our vans. The TIICO hoses would be designed to hook up to the wasserboxer cooling system. I asked about this on the list a while back and the consensus seemed to be that they probably wouldn't fit an '82.

> I would like to know if I coudl order individual TIICO parts but i > haven't recieved any confirmation from their customer service.

It must be possible, otherwise where would TIICO owners get spares from?

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '82 Volkswagen Diesel Westfalia '94 Honda Civic Si -- For Sale '86 Volvo 240DL wagon