Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:10:23 -0500
From:         Wolfgang Ziegler <ziegler@PRINCETON.OILFIELD.SLB.COM>
Subject:      T5 and camper

Dear Vanagon-list,

I just got back from one of my trips 'back home' where I took the opportunity to visit a VW dealer downtown. When I asked about the new van (which is available in Germany since May) they send me away from the sporty Audis, luxus-VW and popular city-hopper Lupo, downstairs, around a corner all the way to the end: Nutzfahrzeuge (utility vehicles).

Sorry if this was described here before - I only report this because I was pretty excited about the look, functionality, and space !

I really liked sitting behind the wheel (with over 6'4" for me the Eurovan just isn't as comfortable as my Vanagon): ratchet the seat down, lift wheel and all seems ok. Having the 6-speed shift stick or 6-speed Automatic lever sticking out the dash allows for quite some room on the floor in the front! The rails in the back for seats, seat row and table are pretty clever (and I can think of many other uses). two sliding doors - quite a matrix of accessories - you can check it out at WWW.VWN.com (VWN-utzfahrzeug :)

Most engines (mostly diesel for European market) seem to be new as well - especially the V6 with 173kW

The camper 'California' (all Aluminum cabinet components, no wood - small gas cartridge for stove - clever electric top ) will be available in March - I will try to test drive in May.

What I din't like was the price tag - the Multivan Comfortline (currently the only model with V6) runs at $39,600 (V6 4Motion 6-speed or 6-speed automatic ) or $33,000 (2.5l Diesel, 6-speed standard)

The standard Multivan 4cyl 5speed runs at $28,600 The camper is only available with Diesel engines - standard camper: $41,700 (2.5l Diesel, 6-speed standard)

All prices w/o sales tax. $1.2/Euro - maybe the T5 will be available here when the Euro drops back to 85c :) The dealer did not know of any plans for the US marked - anyone heard anything? VW announced a week ago that they are not willing to enter the price-war in the US with any model - so I will continue to maintain my 88GL for the next years...

Cheers, Wolfgang