Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:45:17 -0500
From:         lauterba <lauterba@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] sand blasting/paint prep & walnut media???
Comments: To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com, type2@type2.com

Wil, I am going to have my '84 7-passenger done as soon as I can find a shop that can do it correctly. What questions should I ask?

John Macon, GA '84 7-passenger ----- Original Message ----- From: Wil Haslup To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com ; type2@type2.com Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 8:44 PM Subject: [vanagon] sand blasting/paint prep & walnut media???

Hi,

I've been following the various conversations about painting and prep and have a question.

I haven't seen anyone mention sand-blasting as a way to really clean up an old bus/vanagon? Is this a big no-no?

Has anyone used the walnut or corn cob blast media....I'm thinking of trying this and want something that isn't silica based. I'll wear a mask but still prefer something organic.

My vanagon has a bit of surface rust, rust around 5 windows, a dent in the sliding door and rear quarter wheel well and assorted dings. Most of this was there when I got it from the PO. I've dremeled a fair amount of the rust around the windows and spots and primered with a spray can to keep things from getting worse through the winter. The vanagon has been repainted prior to this and many areas in the front show significant crackle from a poor job. I need to remove as much paint as possible and prime for the new paint job.

I may simply swap out my sliding door (drivers door too, hinges are a bit sprung and it sags plus has rust around window) if I can find suitable replacements that only require light cleanup and paint.

I've heard sand blasting can create ripples in the metal if you aren't careful. I don't intend on removing all the paint but there are areas in the front, the roof, the rear hatch that need to be taken down a lot and grinding with sand paper on large areas will take forever.

Sincerely, -- --Wil

-- http://www.charmfx.com/ -- http://www.indieguide.com/ --

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." --Bertrand Russell

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT