Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:54:03 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Electric door lock
Comments: To: "Denis-F. Bastien" <botalys@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Usually the door lock problems come from two sources:

1. Wiring for door lock 2. door lock acutator itself

In my experience about 80 percent of the time these problems are caused by broken wires. If you pull back the rubber boot that goes between the driver's door and the body and the passenger's door and the body you will probably find at least one or two broken wires or wires on the verge of breaking. Repair these and you should restore your locks.

If this doesn't work or you find no broken wires then it must be the actuator itself (since the other locks are working). You can get these new for around $73.65 but you also have to buy a conversion harness for another $25.25 (unless you just want to cut the wiring and splice your old connector onto the new actuator). The need for the conversion harness is due to the fact that VW discontinued making the Vanagon specific acutator and now only sells the one for the Eurovan and a conversion harness to make it work on the Vanagon.

We have brand new actuators for the sliding door and rear hatch for $55 (Vanagon, and made by VW). If you like to solder you can actually make these into the ones for the front doors by just splitting the units open and wiring in a fourth wire into the acutator (you can take your old one apart to see what I am talking about). It is pretty easy and would save you some money.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242