Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:52:06 -0800
From:         Steven Dodson - Epoch Product Design <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      WAS:dumbest auto company NOW: Representatives (NVC)

No kidding. The problem is, our "Representative Republic" system is fundamentally flawed, from top to bottom. It may have made sense 100+ years ago but it doesn't work now. The people don't get to vote on the issues that really effect them long term. Elected or appointed representatives vote or make decisions on the vast majority of issues that affect us the most. This is not democracy but a vague, facsimile or illusion of democracy, an Oligarchy. The best science and experience in the world can't overcome the corporate pressure and payoffs in the system we use. In a democracy, the representatives oversee the people creating legislation, make suggestions as to possible solutions and the people get to vote on the issues directly. However, you need to have intelligent and interested people for democracy to work effectively. In a true democracy, the people do make a difference because it is the people making the decisions, not the bureaucrats. Though it is sometimes slow and tedious, democracy does exist in the world today and works very well. The question is, can we get it here? I'm not holding my breath...

-Steven Dodson Kneeland, CA "Inga" the 87 Syncro

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:03:09 -0800 From: "John D. Foster" <jidd@JIDDWARE.COM> Subject: Re: WAS:dumbest auto company NOW: Representatives (NVC)

Ahhh, thanks for the lesson. I was looking at it purely from a state level, not down at the district level. It makes sense that a rep from a district in my state other than the one in which I live could care less how I feel about an issue.

Cheers, JD Foster