Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Dec 2003 15:12:18 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Volkswagen,
              the dumbest auto company in the world.. was: Re: T5 and camper

>On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Gnarlodious wrote: > >> Wrongly named, too. Americans aren't EVER going to buy anything with "Euro" >> in it. Americas can't stand stand nouns that start with a dipthong. > >I'm not so sure. At the time the Eurovan came out, Americans were all >over anything 'eurostyled'. Unfortunately for VW, that craze wore off >quickly and they don't change their models often.

I suppose the Honda Accord "Euro" (designed, of course, in Japan) wouldn't sell there? It's a far superior car to the totally different soggy US-market Accord.

Typically car lineages change designs much more often than commercials. Say a Japanese car typically runs for a 4-year model-cycle (though a subsequent generation may well retain the previous generation's floorpan and more); the vans run for 10 years or more. So the vans should be really good designs so they don't "age". Toyota is extremely good at this. Nissan and Mazda are not. VW used to be, until it dropped "real" vans and introduced front-engined Eurocrap boxes. Toyota now hedges its bets by offering both traditional vans and front-engined ones under the same name (the larger Hiace). But then, as the world's richest manufacturer of wheeled transport vehicles, maybe it can afford to. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand 64 (3) 473-8863 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh & VW/Toyota van nut