Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Dec 2003 14:19:41 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: anyone have an 1984 Vanagon owners manual?

>anyone have an 1984 Vanagon owners manual?

for a new never-used one, try these folks ....

Out-of-Print Service/Owners Manuals Volkswagen United States if it's still available, they'll send 1-800-544-8021 it to you. $16 each. if you want a Camper Supplement, be sure to ask for it. no extra charge, but they won't send it if you don't ask!

>I have 4 sliding controls for the heat in my 84 Vanagon wagon and also an overhead set-up with a switch between >2 knobs ---anyone have an idea on what is what ?

the knob on the left is teh "fan switch". sohoudl be three speeds. if this knob is off completely, the a/c will not work. the knob on the right is the "temperature control switch". rotate to the right for cooler. note that if this knob is even slightly 'on', the radiator fan is likely to run ... so you get in and crank up, thinking the a/c is off, but the radiator fan starts running immediately. this is because the a/c condensor is part of the radiator and is cooled by the same radiator fan. : the switch in the middle is "air volume preselect". (!?). quote" with this switch, you can preselect blower motor (rpm) speeds. depress right half of rocker switch for high speed. depress left half of rocker switch for low speed. the operation of switch A (left knob) and B (rocker switch) result in a six-speed air volume control combination." it goes on to say ... "operating hints. comfort cooling. - turn fan switch A (left knob) to speed setting "1" or "2" - depress left half of rocker switch B. - turn temperature control switch C (right knob) to desired position - adjust air outlet vents as desired. maximum cooling. - turn fan switch A (left knob) to extreme right. - depress right half of rocker switch B. - turn temperature control switch to extreme right. adjust air outlet vents as desired.

>Then there is another switch beneath the rear window defogger---looks like a glowplug symbol on it----that one >needs identification also.

here you are probably running into the DPO syndrome. that's Dreaded Previous Owner. :) someone likely got a glow plug or some other switch out of a junkyard and put it in the dash ... to run some extra added attraction. like fog lights or some electric heater or something. the idea likely would have been that a glow plug switch could handle a lot of amps. which is a bad idea, since you really should wire those types of accessories with a relay.

hope it helps. good luck! joel