Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:51:30 -0700
From:         Nancy Eilers-Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cold Starting

Sorry, but this just doesn't wash.

> I'll be glad to, but I'll tell you that most of your > eyes will be glazing over soon. > Put a DC current thru any coil, and you get a magnetic > field.

Right so far...

> Remove the power the field collapses, causing > a reverse voltage into the source. If this source was > removed by a switch

i.e. points or ICU

> the voltage will jump the gap > at the switch and crate an arc.

Hence the capacitor (condensor) which provides a current sink when the polarity reverses. Remember, the primary has relatively few windings, so relatively little back-emf is generated in the primary windings (even if the secondary did not exist).

> This is a basics of the > ignition system. The VW coil is set for a given gap, > and several other standard things like wire resistance, > etc.

No, the ratio of secondary to primary windings is determined based on the primary supply voltage, the desired secondary voltage, and the expected range of dwell angle (i.e. charge, rest, & discharge times). The physical construction of the coil, heat sinking/heat dissipation parameters, are designed around these variables. Virtually no current is required so changes in secondary resistance have a miniscule affect. Since the voltage is increased over a thousand fold (i.e. 12vdc to >17Kvdc), the current decreases proportionally. Since the voltage drop across the secondary is = IR, with I so tiny, huge increases in R have little impact. Now, compare the DC resistance of any amount of wiring or metal to the DC resistance of 0.028" of air gap.

> If for any reason this should change (with Bosch Platinum > plugs) you run the risk of damaging the coil by over heating.

OK, reality check here. The DC resistance of the secondary ignition loop CANNOT increase outside the coil, no matter what plug you put on it - the plug is an open circuit! You can increase the resistance of the secondary coil windings which will heat the coil *and* reduce secondary voltage. And, you *can* change the plug gap sufficiently such that you don't have enough potential to arc across the gap. The result is a dead miss. Either the EMF is high enough to arc, in which case the secondary is sinked to ground and the field energy dissipates as current (very low current BTW) instead of heat, or it's too low, and you get a miss (and the field energy ends up as heat in the coil).

Granted, too wide a gap and the inter-electrode ionization is weaker, and the spark is weaker. But it's the gap that causes the issue, not the electrode material. The major causes of coil overheating are excessive and/or variable dwell angle which results in insufficient time between charge/discharge cycles (i.e. excessive duty cycle). Take a look at a Motronic coil. Why does it have all the extra heat sinking capability? Because the ECU continually adjusts timing on a per cylinder basis, thereby creating a highly variable coil duty cycle.

> This is exactly what I have found, as the coils still work, > but several internal shorts would not let them charge > enough to jump the plug gap any more.

Internal shorts are heat sources themselves. Those shorted windings will still collect field energy, most of which is dissipated as heat in the coils fill oil. You may have seen correlation between Platinum plugs and dead coils, but I think it's correlation only. The coils were already defunct.

I can tell you from recent experience, cold starting problems and cold running problems *can* be coil related. If your coil has windings that are shorting, when the coil heats and expands, these shorts may disappear. You should also see more problems at higher RPMS vs. lower RPMs as the secondary voltage of a compromised coil will be significantly reduced as the duty cycle increases.

Keith Hughes