Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:32:58 -0800
From:         Michael Stieber <mrstieber@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: When to replace head gaskets? Synthetic oil over 20w50? When
              to              redo the heads?

Putting synthetic into an engine that already leaks some with dino-oil, will cause it to leak more.

I did, however, find that my 2.1 Wasserboxer (over 130k) found it a *lot* easier to breathe & rev! Much easier to start in sub-freezing temps as well.

I don't have an intelligent answer about the interval at which to change heads.

--- robertmstewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM> wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I noticed that when I purchased my Van from the > Florida owner that the > gasket seals around the heads head caked on dried > oil. The compression test > on the van came out very good considering it has > 150,000 miles on it. > > My question is when should I replaced the head > gaskets? The van is running > great so right now I donšt see it to be a priority > but I do plan on a cross > county trip from NYC to Los Angles California. > > How much should it cost to replace the gaskets? > > And how long should it take? > > When would the engine need to have the heads redone? > > I have thought of putting in synthetic oil in > instead of the 20W50 I > currently use but I wonder if that will cause the > slow leak to get worse, > any ideas? > > Thanks for your advice in advance, > > Regards to all. > > Rob > > NYC > 89 Auto Carat