Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:46:32 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: westy pop top conversions are not for the rich
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@aol.com

I understand your point Ben. But not everyone buys and sells vehicles as often as they change underwear. You, me, Jeff, we are exceptions. We know cars and the car business and are fortunate to live where Vanagons are a dime a dozen to those who are in the know. Most places in this country Vanagons are rare and Westys more so. Someone who lives elsewhere may have a beloved and well maintained passenger model that they now want camperized. Trading a known and loved vehicle for someone else's problem child may not be appealing to them even if they have the money. I camperized my 87 Syncro passenger van about 10 years ago because I wanted a configuration different from the run of the mill Westy and I saved a lot of money in the process. I worked full time and had never done anything like that at the time. As you know I have done a lot of unusual Vanagon custom work since but that all happened years later.

There are Westys with rusted out bodies or engine fire damage sitting around junk yards across the country. They are going to be crushed at some point. If someone can use some of these parts to add functionality to their Vanagon then I am willing to encourage them. I have put Westy interiors into 6 passenger models and poptops on some of those too. It just is not that hard.

Mark