Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:42:19 -0800
From:         Scott Wetzel <wetzels@OHSU.EDU>
Subject:      Painting Your Westy Poptop

When I looked through the archives, I found a lot on how to maintain the poptop, but nothing on actually painting it when it was beyond waxing. I meant to post this last summer when I did the job, but didn't get around to it then so here is a springtime project if your Westfalia's poptop is "cosmetically challenged" like mine was. The PO decided that steel brush and cleanser was the way to clean it (as well as remove the gel coat). The roof was kind of fuzzy and was a haven for mildew up here in perpetually damp Oregon. I wanted a quality paint job, but no auto body shop in the area would consider it for less than $1000 (2 refused to even look at an 82 VW van because they were "high quality shops and Maaco would be a better choice for me").

A guy at a boat supply store suggested Interlux Pre-Kote primer and a top coat with semi-gloss Interlux Premium yacht paint. It took a few days but the results were great and it cost less than $150 for all of the supplies. I needed 2.5 quarts of primer and 2 quarts of the paint to complete the job.

Preparation:

After scrubbing the top with Marine Clean (Por 15's cleaner) and rinsing with a high pressure nozzle at a self-serve car wash, I removed all of the bolts holding the top on (but didn't remove the top). I did remove the luggage rack.

Masked off all areas below the top to prevent drips ($.99 plastic drop cloths work well for this). To prevent drips through the holes in the roof onto the canvas below, I stuck corks up through the holes from the bottom. I didn't use tape because I didn't want to damage the fuzzy liner on the inside.

Painting:

I painted the top with a thin coat of the primer using a small diameter foam roller I got at Home Depot. This went on easily and with the small roller I was able to get into all of the crevices on the top. (Learn from my pain - if your are working in direct sunlight wear sunglasses - the top with a fresh coat of white it is VERY BRIGHT!)

After a few hours to dry, I lightly sanded with 220 sand paper to knock down the fibers which were sticking up. Finished off by wiping down with tack cloth.

Then I painted on a second coat of the primer. After drying I sanded again with 220 grit sand paper and the top was smooth and had a lightly textured appearance like it did originally. Again wipe with tack cloth before applying next coat.

I put on the first coat of paint using a paint brush to insure complete coverage on the grooves on the roof before using the roller to paint. The paint dries quickly so only do one section at a time. One other tip is to roll completely across the top to get the best looking job.

I let the paint dry for 24 hours then lightly sanded with 400 grit paper just to dull the finish and provide a surface for the top coat to stick to.

After a tack cloth wipe down, I final coated and then waited 24 hours before putting hardware back on the top. I took this opportunity to upgrade hardware to stainless steel so there will be no nasty rust stains in the future. Finished it off by using a new seal and new Westfalia sticker. The hardest part was aligning the new sticker (adjusting the roof so it closed properly was a close second).

Results:

In the end, the top looks as good as it did when it was new (good enough to help me get me 2nd in Class (behind a 2003 EV Camper) in a VW show a month later). It is bright white (other colors are available) and the texture is nearly identical to the original. Best of all, it was much cheaper than having it done by someone else and I get a sense of accomplishment and smug superiority when I see other Westies with roofs almost as bad as mine used to look.

Good Luck,

Scott Wetzel

1982 Westfalia 1998 Jetta TDI 1980 Rabbit Pickup