Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:28:32 -0500
From:         Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Subaru conversion

For answers to this question from someone WHO HAS ACTUALLY DONE IT.....please go to the SubaruVanagon Yahoo Group, join, and ask your question there.....

I think its much easier STARTING with a water cooled vanagon. A conversion is a big project by itself...and converting from AC to WC is another whole project in itself.....but there are several of our members who have done it...either for economic reasons....or a big love for their current AC Vanagon.

I'm a real estate broker who had never before done any auto mechanics more difficult than replacing a clutch....and I converted my 90 Syncro Westy.

15,000+ miles later...I still smile every time I drive it..perhaps with a touch of the pride that a hobby boatbuilder or experimental aircraft builder has from piloting something they had a hand in building themselves......but it wasn't easy doing it all by myself and I wished for experienced help many times in the process.....(and almost everything Kim Bennon said in the post before me was true in my case...i.e. tools I didn't have, bought or rented...many trips to the hardware/parts store/ skinnd knuckles and greasy fingernails......and quite a few Sunday afternoons.

.....that's why I started the SubaruVanagon Group....now three years later... with 1200+ members and over 150 finished conversions...that I know of...and many improvements/upgrades to the conversion parts and process.

Would I do another one....for three years I said NO!....but curiosity's getting the better of me and I just stumbled onto a couple of inexpensive Subaru parts cars....so I'm about to start another one. Will someone pour cold water on my head......maybe it'll pass.....

So join our SubaruVanagon Group and get your questions answered.