Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:51:01 -0500
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Strange Idle
Comments: To: "Ari J. Posner" <ari40@HOTMAIL.COM>

Ari,

Common culprits are weak electrical connections or leaky vacuum lines. When you replaced the AFM did you pull the boot between it and the throttle body and check for cracks? Air leaks here (or later) can cause all kinds of odd idle effects (since you are pulling air that is not metered by the AFM.

It's a good idea to make sure all grounds are clean and tight, and all electrical connections likewise. You don't mention the year of the Van, but I believe all have an "Idle Stabalization Valve" (vacuum operated) and an "Idle Stabilization Unit" (firewall, left side of engine compartment... electronic). Check the connections to both of these.

Age and exposure tend to affect the wiring and hoses more often than the components themselves, and it's usually cheaper to clean connections/replace hoses than the various modules.

Good Luck!

Tim