Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:57:52 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Power of a 2.0L Air cooled vs 2.1L???
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>

I agree David, FI is better! everyone will agree on that, the problem, it's 25 years old! Am not saying i would not keep FI, but it as to be in perfect running condition, clean and with new hoses, fuel pump.... And a spare single weber in the back.

I care a lot about "environmental" (is my English right here?) issue, but i also care about my "state of mind/Mental" issue when driving long distance. Iv'e been running my 73 with a Single weber since April and i could not be happier. Am sure that twin weber or Dell would be a bit better than the single, but mine is just working superb.

>>>I kind of doubt it. I don't think you'll get more power with carbs than with FI<<<< That is up for discussion, iv'e been working on Motorcycle since i was... 13 years old, they still use carb today. For one good reason, power. A well "jetted" carb can challenge any FI, IMHO :-)

I live in Canada, it's cold, i agree, the single weber dosn't like temp bellow the freezing point, but only at idle and on low gear (1&2) acceleration.

I drove 150 miles las week at -5C (23F), no problem.

>>>I did it on my '75 because it was either that or replace most of the FI system<<<< That is WHY i wanna go with Carb(S)!

>>>The long manifold tubes are prone to icing and fuel puddling due to the lack of manifold or carb heat.<<< Problem solve, comming up on my site.

Well, am may be the only one fully happy with a single weber! I have to say that i know my way around carbs, but even then, i didn't play much with all 6 jets, only with the Primary idle jet (0 to 3000rpm).

Am sorry David but so many people told me that this carb was shitty, it's not, or am simply lucky.

Peace, Ben