Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:32:15 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Passenger van to westy pop top conversion?
Comments: cc: Tony Polson <tp@WHSMITHNET.CO.UK>

That site does not show the easy way by any means. All that cutting and welding is not needed. The elevating roof, canvas, and luggage rack can be mounted with little more than some holes drilled and a proper sized opening cut to stand up in. If you want the separate upper bed to work and store like the stock Westy one then there is more to it. On my first conversion I cut my opening about 42" square and did not involve the primary roof arch support as I didn't use a factory style upper bed. I installed the full upper bed on my second one so I learned the gotchas that go with doing it that way. Not that big of a deal really but you then need to remove a major body structure (steel arch support) and fabricate a replacement of the right shape (steel flat support) and mount it at the right height so the bed will close and the top will lower and latch without hitting the bed first.

Mounting the top need have nothing to do with the bed so I will talk about mounting the top only for now.

The key is to have accurate measurements of where the various bolt holes must be positioned. Having the donor van nearby after the parts are removed helps so you can go back and forth between the vans to verify hole positions before drilling but the first time I did it only from notes I made when I took the parts off the donor far from home. Where 2 or more holes are near each other I traced them onto a sheet of paper so that the spacing would be just right and then I punched holes down through the paper. Then I mark the new holes on the keeper van and used clear packing tape to tape the tracing paper down into correct position over the marks visible through the punched holes.

elevating roof - 14 bolt holes luggage rack - 12 bolt holes

I start it all by laying the aluminum tent hold down strips into position and taping them in place. They will only want go in the right position as they are contoured for the features of the roof but measure to be sure they are centered properly side to side. Then I mark all the other bolt holes for the roof and rack. Once these marks are in place you can be confident that the large opening will be properly placed so as not to interfere with critical mounting points. There are a bunch of tiny screws that hold down the aluminum strips and I drill these holes and put all the screws in once without the canvas. Then take them out and put them back in with the canvas as a last step after the top is fully mounted

I cut the headliner opening smaller than the intended metal opening by several inches so the extra can be used to fold over the metal edges for a finished look. Then I cut the sheet metal opening. After this, you can reach in between the ceiling metal and headliner to install the bolts that hold the brackets for the front luggage rack. Use self locking nuts and leave them just barely snug so the brackets can shift slightly as you install the 4 screws through the fiberglass of the rack into the 4 brackets. Only after everything else is done should you drill and install the 4 bolts and nuts that hold the rear end of the rack piece to the roof.

Mark

Alistair Bell wrote: > > on 10/12/03 5:35 am, Tony Polson wrote: > > > > > > > Hi Mark, > > > > I have just purchased a Westfalia elevating roof and will > > soon be mounting it on my '85 Vanagon. > > > > I was interested in your comment about it being "fairly > > easy". Can you explain what you meant, or point me towards > > any web resource that might help me figure exactly how to do > > it? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Tony > > '85 Transporter > > Pictures on this site: > > http://members.shaw.ca/stuartblack/vwprojec.htm > > Alistair > > -- > '82 Westy -> diesel converted to gas in '94 > albell@uvic.ca > http://members.shaw.ca/albell