Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:05:07 EST
From:         Sam Williams <Sglw@AOL.COM>
Subject:      RADIO/CD PLAYER now working

Well, I took it back to Circuit City where I had the new stereo unit installed and had new speakers put in the back. After 4 hours of working on the installation at 9:30 last night there was no sound out of the back. They started again today and fixed the earth wiring and now I have great sound with the new rear speakers. I suspect that the problem all the time was the wiring and not the original speakers. But by having Circuit City do the installation of their speakers it only came to $30.00 installation fee and they did a bunch of work to do the trouble shooting.

I will post a set of pictures on my website when I put up the vanagon page hopefully soon. Thanks for all the useful replies.

Sam W 63 singlecab 70 bay Westy 87 Vanagon Westy

'twas writ: I installed a new CD/MP3 player before going across the country and back in September/October. Everything was fine when we left San Jose. On the way back the rear speakers stopped working and the front speaker sound really fuzzy now, I went back to Circuit City and they said that there was no connection to the rear speakers and that I must have overpowered them with my new stereo. So I had put in 5 1/4" speakers with an adapter in the rear by the air-conditioning. When it was all done, nothing worked in the back. The installer said that there is a VW supplied amplifier under the speedometer console and that I must have blown that. The new stereo does not require an amplifier so he can just bypass it.

Am I being cornswoggled or is this true? Does anyone have a pair of good speaker for the front? Or is there an option for new front speakers? They talked about putting a tweeter in place of the old speaker and a 5 1/4 "cut into the door panel.